Within this statement, “participants” refers to program applicants, current and past Fellows, and Fellowship Alumni. “Non-participants” may include Professional Development Experience (PDE) host organizations, Institute Partners, application readers, and other individuals.
Participant Information Content and Storage
Information about participants consists of data contained in their applications, information gathered about their interaction with this website, information derived from interviews, and information gathered during the course of their Fellowship and as Fellowship Alumni. IREX stores this information in written and electronic form indefinitely. Some data, such as contact information and professional experience, is continually updated.
Use of InformationInformation, as described above, may be:
- Used by selection committees and interviewers to review applications;
- Supplied to the program's funding organization;
- Submitted to potential host universities and/or organizations that provide Fellowship opportunities;
- Used for the evaluation of an individual's participation in the Fellowship and in the collection of data for general program evaluation by IREX and the program’s funding organization;
- Used to notify Fellows and/or Alumni of upcoming events and programs;
- Provided to Fellows, Alumni of this and other U.S. Government-sponsored programs, and/or other members of the Fellowship Network for the purpose of fostering networking; and
- Used as part of aggregate analysis of website traffic to discover ways to improve our online application process.
If applicants, Fellows, or Alumni do not want to be included in point 6, it is their responsibility to notify IREX at email@example.com. An opportunity to do so will be included in the Fellowship Terms and Conditions document that Fellows submit when accepting the Fellowship.
IREX does not sell applicant or current/past Fellow information. The principles stated herein are binding only to IREX; other organizations involved in the administration of these programs may adhere to other privacy or similar policies.
Non-Participant Information Content and Storage
Information about non-participants consists of data contained in applications, data gathered through communication with non-participants, information gathered about their interaction with this website, and information gathered during the course of the Fellowship. IREX stores this information in written and electronic form indefinitely. Some data, such as contact information, is continually updated.
Use of InformationInformation, as described above, may be:
- Used by IREX to facilitate the non-participant’s participation and/or interaction with the Fellowship, including booking travel, granting systems access, and other uses as applicable;
- Used to ensure that all aspects of programming meet the funder’s standards, as well as inform best practices for creating and distributing resources;
- Supplied to the program's funding organizations;
- Used for the evaluation of a non-participant’s participation and/or interaction with the Fellowship and for the collection of data for general program evaluation by IREX and the program’s funding organization;
- Used to ensure that Institute programing and PDE opportunities are relevant for fellows' interest areas;
- Used to share general Fellowship communications and updates; and
- Used as part of aggregate analysis of website traffic.
IREX does not sell non-participant information. The principles stated herein are binding only to IREX; other organizations involved in the administration of these programs may adhere to other privacy or similar policies.
Consent for the Collection and Processing of Personal Data from the European Union
- Pursuant to the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (“EU GDPR”), International Research and Exchanges Board (“IREX”), in its capacity as a data controller and/or processor under the EU GDPR, must obtain your explicit, affirmative, and informed consent before it can collect or process any personal data for a lawful basis, including, but not limited to, employment, admission and enrollment, study abroad, internship abroad, online education, etc. For information on how IREX uses personal data, please review the Privacy Statement found at https://www.irex.org/privacy-policy.
- “Personal data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (a “data subject”). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity of that natural person.
- Any personal data that is collected from you may be used as described in “Participant Information Content and Storage” or “Non-Participant Information Content and Storage,” sections above.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, IREX may process personal data without the data subject’s consent under certain other lawful bases, including when processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which a data subject is a party; when processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which IREX is subject; or when processing is necessary to protect vital interests, such as the life of a data subject.
- Personal data will be handled and processed only by the persons responsible for the necessary activities for the purpose above and may be transmitted from the EU to IREX’s Information Systems.
- Refusal of consent may make it impossible for IREX to carry out its necessary activities for the purpose above and may preclude IREX’s ability to provide requested educational services, employment, participation in programs, or other services to you.
- You have the right to withdraw your consent to the collection and processing of personal data. If you would like to withdraw consent, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IREX is committed to ensuring the security of your information. We have put in place reasonable physical, technical, and administrative safeguards designed to prevent unauthorized access to your information.